Twitter Tuesday: Students Finding Their Voice

In case you don’t know this already, today is Tuesday.  Twitter Tuesday, that is.

In our AP United States Government and Politics class, also known as #arapgov12, every Tuesday is Twitter Tuesday.

Every Tuesday, at the beginning of class, the students Tweet in response to a prompt.  It’s the warm up assignment, but really it’s much more than that.

It’s about students finding their voice online.  Students who find a voice that is public and transparent.  Students who grow in confidence to us that voice again and again and again.

At times, I hear people lament about the “youth of today.”  Apathetic. Lazy.  Selfish.  Inappropriate. Self-interested.  I hear that lament, but I respectfully disagree.   To those who worry about the youth of today, I invite them to follow the conversations generated by #arapgov12.

In these conversations, I see students who are finding their voice.  I see students who care.  I see students who get involved in the conversation.  I see students who are far from perfect but who are eager to contribute.  I see students who have a sense of humor and know how to use it (most of the time).  I see students who are Tweeting seven days a week, not just on Tuesday.  I see hope.

In an age where social media use by our young is pervasive and growing, why not use a medium like Twitter to grow positive student involvement online?  Why not help our students build their digital footprint?  Instead of blasting the web as a cultural wasteland, why not direct students in a way that provides genuine and real contributions to the conversation?   If this where our students are anyway, let’s show the way.

It’s Twitter Tuesday, after all.

5 thoughts on “Twitter Tuesday: Students Finding Their Voice

1. So glad to see my alma mater embracing Social Media in such a positive way. And it’s no surprise to see who is leading the charge.

Keep it up #arapgov12!

Signed,

An #arapgov06 grad who now gets paid to Tweet. Seriously.

2. And your Tweets are worth every penny, Mike. I referenced your class today as the only bunch to laugh at the “Daisy Girl” Commercial. Thanks for the comment.

3. Jim,
    It’s really great to see that your students get excited by Twitter Tuesdays. Learning has taken a turn for the better as evidenced by your students’ enthusiasm. Congratulations to you and your Twitter Tuesday group. I look forward to getting my 8th graders involved in Tweeting this month.
    Elaine

4. Your students are very fortunate to have you in their court. If only every educator could see students the way that you do! Wow! We could do great things for our students. Sadly, most who would argue against the use of the available technologies do so out of ignorance and fear not out of what’s right for the students of today. Keep at it Jim. Your enthusiasm is contagious.

5. Thanks for the comments, Carol and Elaine. I’m sorry I didn’t respond sooner. Keep up your great work for our kids!